Sunday, November 9, 2014

How to create a R/C car like an engineer I

As my first step of a future Drone project, I decided to start with something a little easier, and at the same time cheaper to manufacture, as it's a R/C car. At this point, I would like to use this project as a "technology demostrator" or "experience demostrator" for me, so I can gain experience in the electronic devices and FPV camera needed for building a Drone.

The idea, although it exist already, came to me after having a dream about driving a R/C with a FPV camera. Since then , I had the idea for few month, and I consider now that is the moment to start with the project.

The original project is to design and manufacture one R/C car using a 3D printer (or the service of other's 3D printer, since I don't have one). The size would be round 1/10 scale, with a top speed around 40 Km/h (11.1 m/s).

I decided to consider the option of an individual suspension in the front, and a join suspensiĆ³n for the rear wheels.

After I worked with the car for few days, I had an idea of how could be the design of the model.

first impression drawing

The motor and transmission of the car is going to be installed behind, in a rear wheel driver configuration. The structure will be close to a buggy one, and of course the direction will be in the front, using a servo motor to change the directon of the wheels. 

The battery, radio receptor and electronic speed motor control will be placed inside the frame; protected of impacts and a little of the dust,


My next step is start transforming the drwaing and idea into a basic 3D design and see the value of it.


Process of the 3D conceptual design


final basic conceptual design

Once the basic 3D design is made. Now it's turn of modifying all the constraints and dimensions making them dependient variables of some few paraments which will be the elements I have to buy (battery, receptor, motor, bolts...) and the structure parameters so the car will resist the forces that it will experiment.

Then, I will be able to see which components I will finally buy and when I change the parameters, the 3D model will automatically change...But this is work of this next week. 

I will upload all the new steps I am doing.

Take Care





No comments:

Post a Comment